Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes: The quick guide to creating a family tree, building connections with relatives, and discovering the stories of your an (Hardcover)
Email or call for price.
Genealogists are like detectives. Working out puzzles is the name of their game If you have ever wanted to research and document your family history the right way, then the award-winning Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes is for you Authored by professional genealogist Shannon Combs-Bennett, this genealogy book explains the joys, challenges, and triumphs of researching your family's origins. While many people assume genealogy research starts online, Combs-Bennett shows the importance of starting a family tree using documents that can be found in your own home
The second edition of Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes is written in a friendly, easy-to-understand style that avoids complex jargon. While not a comprehensive guide, there are lots of examples, case studies, and advice that can help would-be family historians quickly get up to speed. In addition to listing best practices for conducting genealogical research, Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes also warns readers about the many pitfalls of family research, from "brick wall" mysteries to time-wasting online searches.
What you will learn in this guide:
- Why are people so interested in family history?
- Evaluating clues, facts, and myths in family stories
- The importance of linking generations
- Vital records, from birth certificates to death records
- Non-vital records, from census forms to wills
- Religious records
- Five things that can trip up newbies researching family history
- Best practices for genealogy road trips
- Interviewing relatives, and dealing with skeptics
- Pros and cons of online genealogy research
- Genetic genealogy basics
- Understanding the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)
- Non-paternal events and other skeletons in the genetic closet
- Visualizing family history with charts
- Research logs and genealogy journals
- Preserving records and research
- Genealogy software and GEDCOM files
- Planning for disasters
The revised second edition of Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes concentrates on basic skills. Nevertheless, in a single reading you will be able to understand some important research basics. Creating a strong family tree will not only satisfy your own curiosity, but will also serve as a record to share with relatives and future generations
The Independent Book Publishers Association awarded Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes a silver Benjamin Franklin award for excellence in publishing.