Moon Virginia: With Washington DC (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Most titles are on our shelves or available within 1-5 days.
From metropolitan cities and misty mountains to colorful coastline and charming small towns, journey through the Old Dominion state with Moon Virginia. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries, such as five days visiting Virginia's battlefields and breweries and ten days exploring the whole state, with detailed coverage of Washington DC
- The best road trips in Virginia, including the scenic Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Strategic advice for history buffs, foodies, outdoor adventurers, families, and more
- Can't-miss sights and unique experiences: Visit Revolutionary War battlefields and hear the stories behind Civil War landmarks or immerse yourself in history in Colonial Williamsburg. Stroll the Virginia Beach boardwalk or ride the coasters at Busch Gardens. See world-class museums and monuments in the nation's capital, pop into indie boutiques in Richmond, or visit the homes of former presidents like Jefferson and Washington. Hike sections of the Appalachian Trail, explore underground caves, or kayak on the Potomac River. Sample authentic Virginia ham, kick back at a local brewery, and discover the best spots for a romantic getaway
- Expert advice from Virginia local Michaela Riva Gaaserud on when to go, what to pack, and where to stay, from campgrounds to historic inns
- Thorough background on the culture, weather, wildlife, and history
Headed to the Smokies? Check out Moon Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Exploring more of the South? Try Moon North Carolina or Moon Charleston & Savannah.
About the Author
Michaela Riva Gaaserud is a native Virginian and longtime resident of the Washington DC area. Some of her earliest memories are of playing travel guide to visiting relatives as they went to the museums and monuments in Washington DC. Inspired by the enthusiasm she witnessed from first-timers to the city, Michaela began looking for hidden secrets to share with her audience. A particularly inspiring school field trip to the underground depths of the Lincoln Memorial sealed her love for discovering and sharing the marvels of her own backyard.
Michaela has published travel guides on various aspects of the Washington DC region, and her articles have appeared in newspapers, magazines, and international publications such as Canoe & Kayak Magazine and Paddler Magazine. Other publications include Lake Placid: With the Olympic Village, Lake George and New York's Adirondacks; From Fairbanks to Boston: 50 Great U.S. Marathons; From Kona to Lake Placid: 50 Great U.S. Triathlons; and Sea Kayaking the Baltimore/Washington DC Area. After the publication of this last book, she became a sought-after speaker and was featured in a kayaking documentary. She is also a founding partner at Rainmaker Publishing and an executive producer at Eddyline Media.